Intern - Network/Security Engineering
Bolingbrook, IL, USA
1000 Remington Blvd
Ulta Beauty (“Ulta”) is the largest beauty retailer in the United States and the premier beauty destination for cosmetics, fragrance, skin, hair care products and salon services. Since opening its first store 28 years ago, The Company has grown to become the top national retailer providing All Things Beauty, All in One Place™. Ulta offers more than 20,000 products from more than 500 well-established and emerging beauty brands across all categories and price points. Ulta also offers a full-service salon in every store featuring hair, skin, makeup and brow services. Ulta is recognized for its commitment to personalized service, fun and inviting stores and its industry-leading ULTAmate Rewards loyalty program, which boasts over 30 million members.
INTERNSHIP PROGRAM STRUCTURE:
Our internship program is designed to provide real-world experience that is directly related to your academic discipline and career goals and provide you a better understanding of career options for your degree. Components of the program include:
- Hands-on experience working as a member of a specific department and team.
- Assigned projects to accelerate learning of key functions/process.
- Cross-functional departmental exposures within the corporate office.
- Tours and exposure to other business areas (e.g., stores, distribution center) to ensure full understanding of the company structure and strategy.
- End of program presentation of project findings, and recommended course of action to executives.
GENERAL SUMMARY & SCOPE
The Network/Security Intern is a hands-on position that is responsible for supporting the LAN, WAN, and WLAN networks for UTLA’s corporate, distribution, and retail store business. Additional responsibilities include assisting in the development of technology standards and procedures, collaborating on architectural and engineering direction, and assisting the Network/Security engineering team with designing solutions that meet the needs of a rapidly evolving business. This position will also gain valuable insight and experience into supporting the security-related aspects of both IT applications and infrastructure to ensure ULTA’s IT environment is protected against internal and external threats and in compliance with the Sarbanes Oxley Act (SOX), the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) and all applicable state and federal privacy laws and regulations.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES (*Essential Functions)
- Create technical documentation and assist engineers to implement new solutions, and support ULTA’s enterprise network and security environments.
- Assist Ulta engineers with the design and deployment of company LANs, WANs and WLANs including routers, switches, firewalls, and other network and security related hardware
- Work closely with Network/Security Engineers and IT team to develop high performing, efficient, cost effective, and operationally supportable solutions that meet the business’ complex requirements.
- Ensure operations of enterprise-level network hardware and data communications systems by minimizing system downtime and maximizing system performance.
- Explore and identify opportunities for network/security performance and functionality improvement within the environment.
- Works closely with peer ULTA IT, DevOps, Operations and business teams to deliver infrastructure services to support Enterprise applications throughout the company.
- Collaborate with other members of the Engineering organization to create and maintain standards and operating procedures, and provide information as appropriate to manager, project manager, and various departments within the Company.
- Assist in the development and implementation efforts to bring automation into the environment.
REQUIREMENTS FOR CONSIDERATION:
- Recent college graduate or currently pursuing Bachelor’s or Master’s degree and entering final year of school.
- Strong academic record.
- Previous work experience and involvement with on-campus organizations or activities.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and time management skills.
- Desire to work in a fast paced environment and interact with management level personnel.
- Ability to work in our Bolingbrook office during core business hours of 8:00 A.M. to 5:30 P.M.
- Ability to commit during the months of June – August 2019.
TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS FOR CONSIDERATION:
- Knowledge of network routing and switching hardware
- Understanding of fundamental Network concepts TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, VLAN, VPN, WLAN, monitoring tools, OSI Model, and network topologies
- Knowledge of basic network protocols and technologies: EIGRP, OSFP, STP, HSRP, and VPN
- Knowledge of Network access methods including T1, DS3, OC3, Ethernet, broadband and Wireless
- Familiarity with network/security best practices, device hardening and access control methods